Loading...
Skip to content
In this section
Please Note

Format of the Examination in Palliative Medicine (Adult and Pediatric)

The examination consists of a written-only component that includes two 3-hour papers, each containing 45-60 short-answer questions (SAQs). Paper 1 will be a common paper with questions designed for both the adult and pediatric streams. In Paper 2, 40% of questions will be unique to adult or pediatric streams, and the remaining 60% of questions will cover a combination of adult and pediatric streams. The examination will assess the candidateā€™s competence to function as a palliative medicine consultant across the CanMEDS domains of Medical Expert, Communicator, Collaborator, Leader, Health Advocate, Scholar and Professional.

The subjects covered in this examination will be related to the pathophysiology of oncologic and non-oncologic diseases and conditions followed by palliative medicine consultants. The examination will contain questions about the assessment of physical symptoms and therapeutics (including pharmacologic and non-pharmacologic therapies, as well as adverse effects of treatment), as well as the psychosocial domains of communication and decision-making, leadership and advocacy. There will also be questions about palliative care emergency situations, and ethical and medico-legal issues. Questions pertaining to pediatrics (for the adult stream) and the antenatal, perinatal and neonatal periods (for the pediatric stream) will be included. There will be specific questions related to care in the last hours of life, and questions about patient populations considered to be marginalized and less able to access care.

Questions may cover all competencies as described in the Objectives of Training in the Subspecialty of Adult and Pediatric Palliative Medicine.

Study materials include, but are not limited to: Palliative Medicine: A case-based manual (Third Edition); Oxford Textbook of Palliative Medicine (Fifth Edition); Oxford Textbook of Palliative Care for Children (Second Edition); Care Beyond Cure: Management of Pain and Other Symptoms (Fourth Edition); Journal of Palliative Medicine; Journal of Pain and Symptom Management; and UpToDateĀ®.

No equipment is required and electronic devices are not allowed. A calculator will be provided if necessary.