Charles Peter W. Warren History of Medicine Essay Prize
This essay prize is named after the late Charles Peter W. Warren, MD, FRCPC, the inaugural chair of the Royal College’s History and Heritage Advisory Committee whose contributions and leadership continued until his sudden passing in May 2011. The prize is supported by the Dr. Robert A. Macbeth Library and Archives Fund.
The Royal College presents this prize for the best scholarly essay pertaining to the history of medicine. Particular consideration will be given to essays pertaining to the history of Royal College specialties, the history of the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada, and/or the history of Post-Graduate Medical Education in Canada.
The recipient will receive $1,500.00 and a certificate of recognition. The prize winner will be announced in Royal College publications. The prize recipient will be offered the opportunity to have the winning paper posted on the History and Heritage page of the Royal College website.
- Open to residents registered in a postgraduate program accredited by the Royal College, or to Fellows who completed Royal College training within the past two years.
- Submissions must be original works developed while a resident. Works must be unpublished and not yet accepted for publication.
- Applicants are encouraged to seek out mentorship while developing their paper, including mentorship in historical research methodology and/or content mentorship. The History & Heritage Advisory Committee will attempt to assist applicants to find a mentor if the applicant does not have local mentorship opportunities available.
- The manuscript must not exceed 6000 words, excluding the bibliography.
- Papers with multiple authors must be accompanied by a letter or letters from the co-authors indicating that majority of the work was done by the author entering the competition.
- Unsuccessful papers may be resubmitted.
- Submissions for the prize must be in PDF format accompanied by an introduction letter and curriculum vitae of the author.
- Send submissions electronically to email@example.com by Friday, September 8, 2017, 11:59 in the applicant’s local time zone.
Submissions will be adjudicated by a panel appointed by the History and Heritage Advisory Committee. Adjudication will be based on the following criteria:
- Relevance and originality (30%)
- The subject of the paper is original and innovative and has not been replicated.
- The subject of the paper is extremely relevant in the field of study.
- Quality of literature review (20%)
- Literature review is extremely thorough and in depth. The author has gone above and beyond in their research and has exercised all or most potential resources.
- Quality of historical analysis (40%)
- Quality of historical analysis is excellent
- Presentation (10%)
- Presentation is extremely clear and concise.
Please contact Awards Administrator, Membership Services & Programs firstname.lastname@example.org or 1-800-668-3740 Ext 355
September 8, 2017 EST.
Awards Administrator, Membership Services & Programs
Telephone: 1-800-668-3740 Ext 355