Program Director of the Year Award
This award is given annually to a program director who has demonstrated a commitment to enhancing residency education as evidenced by innovation and impact beyond his or her program. Up to two awards are presented annually. Award winners receive a plaque recognizing their contribution as well as travel and registration to the International Conference on Residency Education.
A nominee must be a current program director of a residency program accredited by the Royal College.
- Demonstrated commitment to innovation in residency education.
- Has had a lasting impact on the quality of residency education and measurable outcomes beyond his or her program.
- Evidence of effective leadership and mentorship ability.
- Embodies or integrates the CanMEDS Roles.
- Strong track record for promoting ethics, reflection and humanism in residency education.
- Nominations may be submitted by program directors, deans, postgraduate deans, or department chairs and division directors (maximum of two letters).
- Self-nominations are not accepted.
- Individuals may be re-nominated in subsequent years. Previous winners are not eligible to win again.
- Nomination submissions must include the following:
- the official award nomination form, completed
- nomination letter addressing every element of the criteria listed above
- a second letter of support from a resident (current or recently graduated)
- curriculum vitae of the nominee (no more than 3 pages in length)
Nominations are adjudicated by a subcommittee of the Awards Committee of the Royal College.
The call for submissions has now CLOSED.
Office of Specialty Education
Telephone: 613-730-8177, ext. 170; toll-free 1-800-668-3740, ext. 170
Donna Steele, MD, MA, FRCSC, University of Toronto