Regional Mentor of the Year Award
This award recognizes Fellows of the Royal College who have had a significant impact on the career development of students, residents or Fellows. Nominees must have shown themselves to be an excellent role model in demonstrating the qualities or competencies of Manager, Scholar and Professional as described in the CanMEDS Framework. The award is open to all Fellows of the Royal College working in any practice setting (e.g., private practice, community, academic).
- The nominee must be a Fellow of the Royal College in good standing.
- For each nominee there must be one lead nominator, and two to four letters of support.
- At least two nominators must be Fellows of the Royal College in good standing.
- Residents are not eligible to be the lead nominator, however they can provide a support letter.
- Previous recipients are not eligible to be nominated in the future.
- Self-nominations are not accepted.
- Nominations by a close relation (e.g. a spouse, sibling, parent, grandparent or child) are not accepted.
- There is only one recipient of the Mentor of the Year Award per region.
- A subcommittee of the Regional Advisory Committee (RAC) is created each year to adjudicate the nominations and select the recipients.
- The Royal College works with the nominators and the recipient to arrange for presentation of the award (plaque) at an appropriate existing event (specialty meeting, rounds, faculty lunch, etc.).
- Whenever possible, a RAC member presents the award to the recipient at the chosen event.
- If your nominee becomes an award recipient, the Royal College reserves the right to reproduce content from this nomination package, including quotes from nomination letters, in promotional communications.
- Nominators’ identities are revealed to the successful recipient in his/her letter of notification.
- With permission of the lead nominator, unsuccessful nominees receive a letter from the Royal College notifying them of their nomination.
The lead nominator is responsible for submitting the entire nomination package, by email in one PDF document. All Royal College communications related to the nomination shall be with the lead nominator.
The nominations package must include the following:
- The completed nomination form (by the lead nominator).
- Two to four letters of support.
- Each letter of support must speak to the nominee’s leadership, role modelling and teaching experiences, as outlined in the nomination form.
- Each letter of support must include the author’s email address.
- A current CV for the nominee.
Please note: Handwritten nomination forms and letters of support will not be accepted.