2018 Royal College AMS Donald Richards Wilson Award for CanMEDS Integration
The Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada, in collaboration with Associated Medical Services, Inc. has established an award to honour and acknowledge the contribution of Dr. Donald R. Wilson (President, RCPSC, 1988-1990) to medical education.
- This award is given annually to a medical educator or a leader of a team, program, or department who has demonstrated excellence in integrating the CanMEDS roles into a Royal College or other health related training program.
- The Awards Committee of the Royal College, who selects one recipient annually at their fall meeting, may add to the list of nominations.
- The Awards Committee may also conduct its own research regarding the proposed nominees.
- Only one award recipient will be named in any given year; however, the award may not necessarily be bestowed annually.
- Individuals may be re-nominated in subsequent years.
- This award is generously supported by funds provided by Associated Medical Services, Inc. and recognizes the seminal work of Dr. Donald Richards Wilson, who, while serving as President of AMS, led the initiative which served as a foundation from which emerged the CanMEDS program of the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada.
- Any medical educator (not necessarily a Fellow) or an identified leader of a team, program, or department who has demonstrated excellence in integrating the CanMEDS roles into a Royal College or other health related training programs.
- Nominations should be accompanied by a statement describing: the relevant educational program; how the particular innovations have been implemented; the impact of the innovations for integrating CanMEDS roles into the program.
- Two letters of support are required: one from the Dean of Medicine, or the Dean responsible for postgraduate education; and a second from an individual acquainted with the particulars of the innovation leading to the program changes.
- Self-applications are ineligible.
- Open nomination - nominations can be submitted by deans, department or program heads, peers, or trainees.
- The successful nominee will receive a monetary award of $2,000 and a suitably engraved recognition.
- The recipient will be recognized at a Royal College Annual event, usually the Residency Education Awards Dinner.
- Travel and related expenses of the award winner will be paid in accordance with Royal College guidelines.
Telephone: 613-730-8177, ext. 355; toll-free 1-800-668-3740, ext. 355