Harry S. Morton Lectureship in Surgery
The Harry S. Morton Lectureship in Surgery, established by the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada in 2013, is funded from the interest income of the H. S. Morton Exchange Fellowship Fund of Canada. Dr. Morton obtained his medical degrees from the Royal London Hospital Medical School in England and joined the Royal Canadian Navy in 1938. Following the Second World War, he taught at McGill and practiced as Chief Surgeon at Queen Mary’s Veterans Hospital in Montreal. He was made a Patron of the Royal College of Surgeons in 1999. Dr. Morton died in Halifax in December 2001.
- The purpose of this lectureship is to advance and to promote study of and research in surgical training and the practice of surgery, by providing support for a nominated surgeon from the United Kingdom to travel for not less than three days to centres in Canada, timed to be held in conjunction with the annual Surgical Forum other academic surgical conference, or other meeting of a National Specialty Society of a surgical discipline. Specifically, the purpose of the Morton Lectureship is to deliver opportunities for interactive discourse on emerging topics or innovative practices in a surgical specialty or subspecialty recognized by the Royal College. The lectureship will also promote opportunities for the travelling surgeon to learn from the centres visited, and bring back knowledge/techniques.
- The nomination shall include a completed application form and an outline of the proposed itinerary / program of activity for the visiting lecturer.
- The successful host organization shall be responsible for the arrangements and itinerary for the Harry S. Morton Lectureship.
- The Awards Committee of the Royal College will select the recipient(s) based on the breadth and impact of activities outlined in the proposed program of activity.
- One (1) or more Lectureships shall be offered annually. The number shall be determined by the Awards Committee based on available funding, but shall not exceed five.
- Surgeon from the UK.
Lectureship Funding / Award
The lectureship will provide up to $7,000.00 to support travel and accommodation for the visiting lecturer and to cover expenses incurred by the host organization related to the lectureship.
Apply by June 30, 2018 for events in Fall 2018 or
by October 26 2018 for events in Winter 2019 or later
Late applications will not be considered.
Telephone: 613-730-8177, ext. 355; toll-free 1-800-668-3740, ext. 355