Janes Visiting Professorship in Surgery
The Janes Visiting Professorship in Surgery, established by the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada, in cooperation with the Janes Surgical Society, is funded from the interest income of the Janes Fund. The Fund was created by former students of Dr. Robert M. Janes, former Professor of Surgery at the University of Toronto from 1947 to 1957.
- The purpose of this visiting professorship is to stimulate and increase an interest in the latest developments in surgery and surgical techniques.
- The Janes Visiting Professors are selected every two years.
- The visiting professor will be chosen by the Awards Committee of the Royal College.
- The nomination shall include an introduction letter and an outline of the proposed itinerary / program of activity for the visiting professor.
- The visiting professor, preferably a Canadian surgeon of national stature, will spend one to three days visiting one to two medical schools according to a mutually agreed schedule (one of which is the center of the nominator, the other location, if applicable, will be determined jointly by the Royal College and the nominee/recipient).
- The professor participates in undergraduate and postgraduate teaching and in the exchange of ideas with practicing surgeons, residents and students.
- The successful host organization (nominator) will be responsible for the arrangements and itinerary of the visit for which they are host.
- Visits will be coordinated between an individual at the host faculty and the Membership Services and Programs Unit of the Royal College.
- A written report on each visit will be submitted by the host facility(ies) as well as by the visiting professor.
- Canadian surgeon of national stature.
- Closed nomination – nominations are solicited from the Chairs of the Departments of Surgery of Canadian Faculties of Medicine.
Visiting Professorship Funding / Award
- The professorship is supported by an honorarium of $1,000 per site visit, plus reimbursement of all costs related to the visiting professor’s travel and other related expenses, to a combined maximum of $7,000.00. Reimbursements of expenses will be paid directly to the visiting professor. Costs associated with catering and event organization are the responsibility of the host organization.
- Travel and related expenses are reimbursed within Royal College Travel Expense Policy guidelines.
Please ensure that you have all required documents prior to submitting your nomination/application, as the submissions are final and cannot be edited.
11:59 p.m. October 31 2017. Late applications will not be considered.
Telephone: 613-730-8177, ext. 355; toll-free 1-800-668-3740, ext. 355