Eligibility criteria for the Practice Eligibility Route (PER)
- Licence to practise in Canada as an independent specialist in a Royal College primary specialty. (An independent specialist must have been granted a licence to practise across the discipline without the need for supervision and be free from restriction other than practice location.)
- Eligibility to practise (or previous practise) as an independent specialist in the country of postgraduate training.
Time in practice
- Total amount of time spent in practice: Five years of active practice as an independent specialist in the specialty applied for (any jurisdiction).
- Amount of time spent in practice in Canada: Before applying, physicians must have two years of practice as an independent specialist in a continuous practice location or clinic in Canada.
TrainingCompletion of all postgraduate medical education (PGME) training requirements of the jurisdiction in which training occurred.
- PGME training must total a minimum of 48 months; 36 months of this must be directly related to the specialty.
- The other 12 months of PGME training can be
- another 12 months of training in the specialty,
- 12 months of PGME training not necessarily related to the specialty, or
- 12 months of a fellowship directly related to the specialty. The fellowship must have been completed in Canada or in a fellowship program in the United States accredited by the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME).
- Eligibility to apply
- Apply for the Practice Eligibility Route
- Credentialing fees
- Working with your medical regulatory authority
The Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada
774 Echo Drive
Ottawa ON K1S 5N8
Telephone (toll-free): 1-800-267-2320