Eligibility for exams and practice-based assessments
If you succeed at the credentials review and actively participate in MOC PER, you will receive a letter of eligibility. This letter confirms that you meet the training and/or practice standards to register for either the examination or, if available, the practice-based assessment.
Your letter of eligibility will specify which assessment method you have requested and the year in which you can attempt the examination or practice-based assessment.
- Eligibility via PER is only granted for one year at time, for a total of three attempts at the certification exam or practice-based assessment within a limited time period.
- Prior eligibility will be counted.
After receiving eligibility you will be able to register for either the examination or practice-based assessment.
- You will receive a registration notice by email.
- Only one attempt can be made per year.
- Royal College exams take place once a year in the spring.
- The Psychiatry practice-based assessments take place in early March.
The Royal College does not offer any exam preparation courses, but the following resources may help:
- the discipline’s Objectives of Training Requirements (OTR)
- candidate information guide for the Psychiatry practice-based assessment
- exam preparation courses offered by select Canadian medical schools
What if I fail or my eligibility has expired?
- If you fail but have remaining eligibility, you can register for the next year’s examination or practice-based assessment.
- If your eligibility has expired through failure or failure to appear, you can apply to renew your eligibility for an additional year.
- If you have failed three times or your result falls into the category of severe fail, you may be required to complete an appropriate intervention before further attempts can be made:
- a study plan (required after three failed attempts; may also be required if your result falls into the category of severe fail)
- six months of training in the specialty (required after four failed attempts)
Please refer to the Policies and Procedures for Certification and Fellowship.
After certification, you will be invited to join the Royal College as a Fellow.
- Eligibility to apply
- Apply for the Practice Eligibility Route
- Credentialing fees
- Working with your medical regulatory authority
The Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada
774 Echo Drive
Ottawa ON K1S 5N8
Telephone (toll-free): 1-800-267-2320