Surgical Foundations exam (for surgical specialties only)
All applicants in the following surgical specialties must successfully complete the Surgical Foundations exam to be eligible for the final exams in their surgical specialty:
- General Surgery
- Cardiac Surgery
- Obstetrics and Gynecology (starting in 2018, this will be mandatory for those who begin training on or after July 1st, 2016)
- Orthopedic Surgery
- Otolaryngology — Head and Neck Surgery
- Plastic Surgery
- Vascular Surgery
Applicants may apply for Surgical Foundations in PGY1 to be eligible to take the examination in PGY2.
Below are the next steps if you have passed the Surgical Foundations exam.
If you have passed the Surgical Foundations exam
If you have already been assessed for the Royal College’s Surgical Foundations exams (surgical specialties only), you are not required to complete another application for preliminary assessment of training. But you must contact email@example.com by April 30 of the year before you intend to take your final surgical specialty exam to continue the assessment of your final years of training.
When you contact us, please provide the following information:
- full name
- surgical specialty
- year you intend to take the final surgical specialty exam
- dates and rotations of final years of residency training
- proposed end-of-training date
- name and contact details of your program director
- current mailing address
This information must be sent by April 30 of the year before you intend to take your final surgical specialty exam. Any requests received after this date will be subject to a penalty fee.