Candidates requiring exam accommodation
The Royal College will make all efforts to provide reasonable accommodations for candidates making such a request.
Accommodations will be granted on an individual basis and depend on the nature and extent of the special requirement, documentation provided, and the requirements of the examination. Applicants who require particular consideration at the examination must notify the Office of Specialty Education by the registration deadline of January 13 for spring specialty examinations or May 15 for fall subspecialty exams.
By the registration deadline, candidates are required to provide the following documentation to the Credentials Unit of the Royal College:
- A signed letter from the candidate with specific details regarding their request for exam accommodation with respect to the examination they are applying for.
- If the candidate has been previously awarded accommodations by their university or other medical education programs, the candidate should provide a copy of the accommodations provided at the time.
- Documentation identifying and confirming the existence of the functional limitations, the specific diagnosis, the nature of the accommodation requested, and a detailed explanation of why the accommodation is required. Any supporting documentation for any request for exam accommodation must be provided on office letterhead, from the candidate’s fully licensed practising physician, clinical psychologist, or other appropriate licensed healthcare provider (the practitioner cannot be a relative or spouse of the candidate).
- In the case of a learning disability, a psycho-educational assessment must be provided including what recommendations are required for the candidate in a testing environment. A detailed report describing the candidate’s condition and its severity must be provided.
- Written confirmation from a qualified professional that the disability is still valid if the report is more than two years old.
If granted, accommodations apply to the current year only. A candidate must submit a new request for accommodation each year he or she registers for a Royal College exam, regardless of his or her pass/fail result on a previous exam.
The Royal College reserves the right to designate the location and date and time of the exam since all accommodations may not be available at any given exam site on any given exam date. For example, a request for a written exam might mean that a candidate would be required to take the written component at a site other than their preferred city.
All requests must be submitted to: