The 2019 International Conference on Residency Education (ICRE)
All programs will take place at the Shaw Centre unless otherwise specified.
Goals and objectives
Each year, ICRE brings together more than 1,600 clinical educators and physicians from around the world to share ideas, challenges, innovations, and advance training.
- clinical teachers and educators; program directors;
- postgraduate deans;
- program administrators;
- government leaders and policy makers;
- educational researchers; and
- medical education leaders.
ICRE 2019 Objectives
By the end of ICRE 2019, participants will be able to:
- Describe novel designs for residency education in the 21st century;
- Describe key current trends in residency education, and identify the implications for their own program(s);
- Adopt a number of new approaches for enhancing excellence in teaching and assessment in residency;
- Describe best practices and research in residency education;
- Describe new developments in competency-based education and the implications for residency education;
- Describe different approaches to residency education from other countries and jurisdictions;
- Describe the forces and science behind the quality revolution in medicine, and adapt residency education accordingly;
- Describe the implications of new technologies for residency education;
ICRE 2019 Learning Tracks
Topics that will be covered at this year’s conference include:
- Accreditation in residency education
- Admissions: Selecting residents
- Assessment: Cutting edge tools and practical techniques
- Competency-based education
- Educating for quality of care, patient safety, and resource stewardship
- Education research methods
- Engaging residents: Inspiring the next generation of leaders and educators
- Faculty development
- Health policy and residency education
- Humanities and history in medical education
- Implementing quality of care, patient safety, and resource stewardship improvement projects
- Leadership education
- Learning analytics
- Learning environments: Exploring new avenues
- Physician health and wellness
- Resident duty hours
- Simulation in residency education
- Teaching and learning in residency education
- The unique educational climate of the operating theatre
- Using innovative technologies for medical education
- What Works? Innovations in residency teaching and assessment
Conference Planning Group - program advisory board
Click here for details about the ICRE 2018 Conference Planning Group.
Save the date: Future Conferences
September 24-26 2020 | Vancouver, Canada
Held in Vancouver, Canada, the 2020 International Conference on Residency Education (ICRE) will include an impressive lineup of workshops, posters, oral presentations and plenary sessions, exploring the latest trends and innovations in residency education.
More information on ICRE 2020 will be made available in Autumn 2019.
Visit the following sites for more information about Vancouver’s sights and sounds, as well as other nearby attractions:
ICRE 2021 and ICRE 2022
Stay tuned for more information.
Click here to access past conference information.
ICRE 2018 - The Learning Environment and Residency Education: The Evolution of Training
*Please note, abstracts, and JGME abstracts are only available in English.