How to conduct a workplace-based CBD assessment
Emphasize observation, feedback and documentation
In Competence by Design (CBD), clinical teachers make use of authentic clinical oversight activities to engage in the workplace-based assessment of residents. Workplace-based assessment (WBA) is feasible in a busy clinical program, because of the fact that you are already giving your residents verbal feedback. Now you just need to take a moment to document that feedback.
Frequent and timely coaching conversations between a learner and observer are a critical element of WBA. This is known as Coaching in the Moment and it follows the RX-OCR step-by-step process:
- R: Establish educational Rapport between the resident and the clinician (an educational alliance or partnership).
- X: Set eXpectations for an encounter (discuss learning goals).
- O: Observe the resident. With CBD, the role of clinical teacher is evolving from supervisor to frequent observer and coach. When clinical teachers directly or indirectly observe the work residents do more often, their observations provide greater learning opportunities and a more comprehensive image of trainees’ competence.
- C: Engage in a Coaching conversation for the purpose of improvement of that work. As part of this conversation, the clinical teacher gives the trainee "coaching feedback," focusing on specific actionable suggestions for improvement and how such improvements can be accomplished.
- R: Report a summary of the encounter, including observation specifics and performance ratings, using an observation form.
Learn more about the CBD Coaching Model and Coaching in the Moment here.
Contact us at email@example.com to request a copy of the four sample observation templates.
- Tools and resources
- Video (01:24) Introduction to competence committees
- Competence Committees — Guidelines for the Terms of Reference
- Competence Committees — Process and Procedures in Decision Making: A framework
- Video (04:24) Setting up a Competence Committee
- Video (02:42) What can one do to help ease the transition to Competence By Design?
- Video (01:56) What is the workload like for a Competence Committee member?
- Video (01:59) CBD – You are not alone
- Video (01:17) How is information stored in programs?
- Video (03:08) CBD benchmarks – How are we doing?
We are here to help you succeed with CBD. Contact us: