CBME Program Evaluation Summit
As CBME is increasingly adopted and implemented around the world, international organizations are also engaging in CBME program evaluation. CBME Program Evaluation allows us to understand if CBME is being implemented as intended, if it is having the desired impact and to learn about CBME implementation in other countries.
The CBME Program Evaluation Summit, hosted by the Royal College CBD Program Evaluation operations team in conjunction with ICRE, creates a space to gather those engaged in CBME program evaluation. Attendees can:
- share their initiatives and ideas
- hear from others
- network and collaborate with other attendees
- learn from thought leaders in the field
- discuss emerging and prominent topics in CBME program evaluation
Registration is now open for the fourth annual Competency Based Medical Education (CBME) Program Evaluation Summit! This ICRE pre-conference summit will be held virtually on October 24th, 2022 from 10:00 am - 2:00 pm EST.
Register here for the 2022 CBME Program Evaluation Summit.
This summit will provide attendees the opportunity to share and hear about CBME program evaluation initiatives and strategies, learn about successes and challenges in CBD, discuss the next steps in the CBD evaluation journey and gain insights into working through the “messy middle” of CBME implementation.
There will also be a Pre-summit Program Evaluation Primer from 9:00 - 9:50am. This event is optional and will explore common struggles and challenges in CBME Program Evaluation.
All audiences are welcome at this summit. To reserve your space, we kindly ask that you register for this event no later than the 30th of September, 2022.
To attend the Summit, you will need a device with internet connection, an audio connection for speaking and listening, and a camera if you wish to engage in the video conferencing aspect.
If you are interested in attending future CBME Program Evaluation Summits, please email email@example.com to join our mailing list.
CBME Program Evaluation Summit 2020
The second CBME Program Evaluation Summit was held virtually due to the COVID-19 pandemic. It was held on September 22nd, 2020. Attendees of this half day Summit heard from residents in CBME programs on the importance of program evaluation, saw abstract presentations on current program evaluation projects, engaged in small group discussions, and learned from a closing plenary from Dr. Saad Chahine and closing remarks from Dr. Jason Frank.
- Summary of the day
- Opening Plenary by Dr. Andrew Hall (Summit Chair), D. Samantha Buttemer, and Dr. Olivier Fortin
- Closing Plenary by Dr. Andrew Hall, Dr. Saad Chahine, and Dr. Jason Frank
Abstract presenters showcased their work to attendees of the Summit. Click on an abstract to watch the recorded presentation.
- A Case Study of the Implementation of EPAs as a New Assessment Tool and How They are Actually Used in Obstetrics and Gynecology Residency Program
- Valerie Margaret Mueller, Michelle Morais, Mark Lee, Jonathan Sherbino
- Aiming High but Falling Short: How Technology Impacts Committee Function and Programmatic Assessment in Competency-Based Medical Education
- Evan R. Connell, Yasmine Alborhamy, Cristian Rangel, Vicki LeBlanc, Alan J. Chaput, Chris Johnson, James Watterson, Kori LaDonna
- An Implementation Validity Framework: The Role of Simulation and Artificial Intelligence in the Health Professions Education
- Jordan Richard Schoenherr
- Assessing Learner Cognitive Fatigue in the Era of CBD Implementation
- Olivier Fortin, Raphaëlle Carignan
- CBME Rapid Program Evaluation – An Institutional Update
- Heather Braund, Andrew Hall, Laura A. McEwen, Nancy Dalgarno, Amy Acker, Chris Smith, Susan Chamberlain, Denise Stockley, J Damon D. Dagnone
- Clarity and Transparency: An Infographic to Illustrate Competence Committee Processes
- Tessa Hanmore, Sussan Askari, Jessica Trier
- Competence by Design in Canadian Neurosurgical Residency Programs
- Magalie Cadieux, Jay Riva-Cambrin, Roy Phitayakorn
- Development of a Top Ten List of Recommendations for Residents in Competency-Based Medical Education
- Leora Branfield Day, Justin Cottrell, Marina Abdel Malak, Amir Safavi, Laura Downing, Derek Little, Kimberly Williams
- Evaluation of Technology Platforms: Competence Committee’s Perspectives and Needs
- Yasmine Alborhamy, Evan R. Connell, Kori LaDonna, Vicki LeBlanc, Alan J. Chaput, Christopher Johnson, James Watterson, Christine Seabrook, Cristian Rangel
- How is Feedback Incorporated by Resident Doctors to Achieve their Goals?
- Jonathan Dean, Nina Gao, Linden Kolbenson, Heather April Ward, Sharon E. Card
- Identifying and Exploring Factors that Promote and Impede Successful EPA Completion
- Quinten Paterson, Benjamin Leis, Lindsey Broberg, Stéphanie E. Beckett, Tanya Robertson-Frey, Yuchen Gao, Brian Ulmer, Sharon E. Card, Lynsey Martin
- Implementing Competence by Design at the University of Manitoba: A Realist Evaluation
- Christen Rachul, Benjamin Collins, Helen Mawdsley, Ming-Ka Chan, Ganesh Srinivasan, Joanne Hamilton
- Learning from Front-Line Experiences about Competence by Design
- Susan Glover Takahashi, Lisa St. Amant, Anita Dhanrajani, Glen Bandiera
- Ready, Set…No!
- Theresa Beesley, Armand Aalamian, Regina Husa
- Redefining the Outcome of CBME…Is Competence the Endpoint?
- Monica Aggarwal, Ivy Oandasan, Aasha Gnanalingam
- Sharing Ground Rules for EPAs and Competence Committees in Nested Programs
- Jennifer Vergel de Dios, Andrea Good
- The QuAL (Quality Assessment of Learning) Score: Establishing Validity Evidence for Narrative Comments in EPAS (Entrustable Professional Activities) for Three Different End User Groups – Residents, Academic Advisors and Competence Committee Members
- Rob Woods, Sim Singh, Brent Thoma, Catherine Patocka, Warren Cheung, Teresa Chan
- The Shift to Competency-Based Medical Education in Canada: A Qualitative Study of Resident Experiences
- Leora Branfield Day, Terry Colbourne, Alex Ng, Franco Rizzuti, Linghong Zhou, Rani Mungroo, Allan McDougall
- Wisdom of Collaborators: Entrustment Scale Refinement through Consultation
- Lisa St. Amant, Anita Dhanrajani, Glen Bandiera, Susan Glover Takahashi
CBME Program Evaluation Summit 2019
The first CBME Program Evaluation Summit was held on September 23rd, 2019, in Ottawa, Ontario. Attendees engaged in a full day of program evaluation discussions, poster sessions, small group breakouts, and an expert plenary panel.
Please note, the CBME Program Evaluation Summit is conducted in English. If you would like summary notes or PowerPoints translated to French, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.