International Resident Leadership Award
This award is given to an international resident who has demonstrated leadership in specialty education and encourages the development of future leaders in medicine. Up to two awards will be presented annually. Award winners receive a plaque recognizing their contribution as well as travel and registration to the International Conference on Residency Education.
The resident must be enrolled in a postgraduate medical or surgical training program outside of Canada.
- Demonstrated outstanding leadership skills during their residency training.
- Contribution to the advancement of the profession of medicine, the welfare of residents, or quality of residency education.
- Evidence of strong role modelling and mentorship ability among peers.
- Embodies or integrates the CanMEDS Roles.
- Nominations may be submitted by program directors, deans, postgraduate deans, or department chairs and division directors (maximum of two letters). Only 1 nomination submission package per candidate so coordination may be required if multiple individuals want to nominate the same individual.
- Nominations may be in English or French
- Self-nominations are not accepted.
- Individuals may be re-nominated in subsequent years. Previous winners of the award will not be eligible to win again.
Please submit your package as 1 PDF file in the following sequence order:
- 1 - Nomination letter from a resident or resident peer (current or recently graduated), addressing every element of the criteria identified above. The effort put into the nomination letter is critical so the more information you provide the better. Please provide 2-3 examples of success for each criteria section
- 1 - Support letter from a postgraduate dean, residency educator, department chair or division director
- 1 – Maximum of 3 page in length CV
Nominations are adjudicated by a subcommittee of the Awards Committee of the Royal College.
Lieutenant Commander Ayeetin Azah, MD, MBA (Walter Reed National Military Medical Center)
Arjan Hura, MD, University of Cincinnati (Ohio, USA)