CPD activity toolkit
Requirements for web-based CPD activities
In order for any group learning activity to be accredited for Section 1 of the Maintenance of Certification (MOC) Program, it must be reviewed and approved by a Royal College-accredited CPD provider. Web-based activities are assessed against the same standards as face-to-face group learning activities like conferences, workshop and seminars.
Since the online environment is different from a face-to-face one, please take into consideration the following recommendations when planning a web-based group learning activity.
- Group learning activities delivered via the web must provide an opportunity for interaction between participants and course faculty/facilitators (e.g. the ability to email a question). They must also allow participants to observe the interaction of other participants with the course faculty/facilitator.
- The following are some acceptable options to incorporate interactivity for accredited web-based group learning activities:
- discussion forums and chat groups
- teleconferencing and videoconferencing
- Twitter and email
- Participants must log on to the interactive component to claim credit under Section 1. Fellows can claim the time spent reviewing posted materials under Section 2.
- Certificates of participation should only be given to participants if they have logged on to the interactive component for the course.
CPD Accreditation Coordinator
The Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada
774 Echo Drive
Ottawa ON K1S 5N8
Telephone: 613-730-2587; toll-free 1-800-668-3740, ext. 587