Practice Eligibility Route - AFC
The Practice Eligibility Route for Areas of Focused Competence (PER-AFC) is designed for specialists who have acquired the competencies of a Royal College AFC discipline through professional practice and who wish to have their competencies recognized with the Royal College credential.
The practice route is intended for specialists in practice who have not completed training in a Royal College accredited AFC program.
Am I eligible?
A physician is eligible to apply for the credential through PER-AFC if they meet the minimum time in practice, and the eligibility requirements outlined in the discipline’s national standards.
- Time in practice - the Royal College recommends that the required time in practice be between 2 and 5 years. The discipline’s Royal College AFC Committee sets the required time in practice for PER-AFC. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for discipline-specific time requirements.
- Eligibility requirements – eligibility for PER-AFC is based on the discipline’s approved national standards for the in-training route. Eligibility requirements include entry routes and other discipline-specific criteria. Please consult the discipline’s Competency Training Requirements (CTR) listed in the Information by Discipline database or request assistance from email@example.com.
How do I apply?
PER-AFC is an application-based process that assesses whether an applicant has the required competencies of the AFC discipline. Applications consist of a discipline-specific scope of practice form to be submitted along with one’s CV and list of references. References will be contacted by the Royal College and asked to attest to the abilities of the applicant via a Multi-Source Feedback form. The number of references required varies by discipline and will be between 5 and 8.
The Royal College facilitates the review of all submitted applications by the discipline-specific assessor(s). Applicants will receive notification from the Royal College on the assessment decision. If deemed eligible for the credential, the applicant will be invited by the Royal College to have their credential recognized by becoming a Diplomate (DRCPSC).
The application fee for PER-AFC is $2,050. If the applicant is deemed eligible and wishes to have their credential recognized by the Royal College, the annual fee to maintain the credential is $265.
Which AFCs are receiving applications?
The following disciplines are receiving applications for the practice route:
- Acute Care Point-of-Care Ultrasonography
- Addiction Medicine
- Adolescent and Young Adult Oncology
- Adult Cardiac Electrophysiology
- Adult Congenital Heart Disease
- Adult Echocardiography
- Adult Interventional Cardiology
- Adult Thrombosis Medicine
- Advanced Heart Failure and Cardiac Transplantation
- Aerospace Medicine
- Child Maltreatment Pediatrics
- Clinician Educator
- Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation and Cellular Therapy
- Hyperbaric Medicine
- Patient Safety and Quality Improvement
- Pediatric Urology
- Prehospital and Transport Medicine
- Sleep Disorder Medicine
- Solid Organ Transplantation
- Sport and Exercise Medicine
- Transfusion Medicine
- Trauma General Surgery
Prior to 2021, PER-AFC was a portfolio-based process and has since been streamlined. All Diplomates who received the AFC credential can be verified using the Royal College Directory.
Ready to apply?
If you are interested in applying – please email firstname.lastname@example.org and indicate which AFC discipline you want to apply for. The Royal College will respond to you with the application document.