If you require accommodations to write your exam, you must submit your request when registering for the examination using the E-booking system. The registration deadline for spring examinations is November 4 and April 15 for fall examinations.
The Royal College will attempt to accommodate your specific requirements for the exam provided that the validity of the exam is maintained. Accommodations will be granted on an individual basis and depend on the nature and extent of the special requirement, documentation provided, and the requirements of the exam.
Candidates who are granted an accommodation must come to one of 18 Canadian hotel exam sites to write their exam unless exceptional circumstances apply.
By the registration deadlines, you are required to provide the following documentation to the Royal College:
- A signed letter with a description of your need for accommodation and its severity, along with a description of the type of accommodation required and for which exam components it applies to (i.e., written or applied).
- Documentation of the accommodations provided by your university or other medical education programs if you have been granted previous accommodations.
- Supporting documentation from a qualified treating professional confirming the need for accommodation, its severity, your functional limitations, and specific recommendations for the accommodation. All supporting documentation must be provided on office letterhead, from your fully licensed practicing physician, clinical psychologist, or other appropriate licensed health care provider (the practitioner cannot be a relative or spouse).
- Written confirmation from a qualified professional that your functional limitations are still valid should the supporting documentation be more than two years old.
- If you are unable to write your examination in a test center, the documentation from your qualified treating professional must specifically address this need.
The Royal College may request additional information, as it considers necessary, on a case-by-case basis.
Submit an exam accommodation request
Before submitting your request for exam accommodation, please ensure you have all the required documentation and have read the information carefully on this page. The deadline to submit a request is November 4 for spring examinations or April 15 for fall examinations using the examination E-booking system.
All exam accommodation requests will be reviewed in the weeks following the exam registration deadlines. In the event more information is required, you will be contacted by the Program Manager, Assessment. Approved accommodation requests will be communicated by email through a formal letter approximately 4-6 weeks before each examination component (if applicable).
If granted, accommodations apply to the current year only. You must submit a new request for accommodation each year you register for a Royal College exam, regardless of your pass/fail result on a previous exam.
In the event the need for an exam accommodation arises after the deadline, you must contact email@example.com with the required documentation as soon as possible. It may not be logistically possible to arrange the requested accommodation(s) too close to the exam date.
The Royal College reserves the right to designate the location and date and time of the exam since all accommodations may not be available at any given exam site on any given exam date. For example, a request for a written exam might mean that you would be required to take the written component at a site other than your preferred city.
We recognize exams are a stressful experience and that we are in unprecedented times. The Royal College is committed to communicating with you in a respectful, professional, and civil manner. Similarly, we ask the same courtesy is provided to our employees. Thank you!