International Resident Leadership Award
This award is given to an international resident who has demonstrated leadership in specialty education and encourages the development of future leaders in medicine. Up to two awards will be presented annually. Award winners receive a plaque recognizing their contribution as well as travel and registration to the International Conference on Residency Education.
The resident must be enrolled in a postgraduate medical or surgical training program outside of Canada.
- Demonstrated outstanding leadership skills during his or her residency training.
- Contribution to the advancement of the profession of medicine, the welfare of residents, or quality of residency education.
- Evidence of strong role modelling and mentorship ability among peers.
- Embodies or integrates the CanMEDS Roles.
- Nominations may be submitted by program directors, deans, postgraduate deans, or department chairs and division directors (maximum of two letters).
- Self-nominations are not accepted.
- Individuals may be re-nominated in subsequent years. Previous winners of the award will not be eligible to win again.
- Nomination submissions must include the following:
- the official award nomination form, completed
- nomination letter from a resident or resident peer (current or recently graduated), addressing every element of the criteria above
- a second letter of support from a postgraduate dean, residency educator, department chair or division director
- curriculum vitae of the candidate (no more than 3 pages in length)
The 2021 Residency Education Awards call for nominations is now closed.
Nominations are adjudicated by a subcommittee of the Awards Committee of the Royal College.
Office of Specialty Education
Telephone: 613-730-8177, ext. 170; toll-free 1-800-668-3740, ext. 170
Allison M.B. Webb, MD, MAT, Walter Reed National Military Medical Center (Maryland, USA)