Ensuring value for years to come
Canada is embarking on a multi-year project to update their CanMEDS 2015 Physician Competency Framework (Frank, 2015). The goal of the CanMEDS 2025 project is to revise and refine the current framework while ensuring that this important resource continues to:
- Align with recent developments in medicine,
- Anticipate and support the practical needs of medical education programs,
- Contribute to the strategic direction of medical education, as well as
- Consider the practical implementation needs of partnering organizations.
The update is also intended to:
- Support the goals of anti-racism and anti-oppression
- Support the goal of equity, diversity, inclusion, and accessibility
- Respond to current societal needs and those expected in the next 10 years, including the Truth and Reconciliation Commission recommendations as well as new themes, which will be addressed with the addition of new competencies
The value: The CanMEDS framework describes the abilities physicians require to effectively meet the needs of the people they serve. Since its launch in 1996, CanMEDS has become the most widely accepted and applied physician competency framework in the world. Renewal is key to success. A new iteration of the framework will ensure quality of education and equip trainees with a set of standards and competencies that are contemporary.
The timing: The CanMEDS framework is updated at regular, and practicable, intervals. The CanMEDS 2025 Steering Committee feel a keen sense of responsibility to balance the need to be contemporary and innovative, while also respecting the capacity of our stakeholders for change. We are highly mindful that the system has been through and continues to experience major change.
New ideas are welcome! We are committed to a transparent process that allows for all national and international members of the medical education community to contribute and shape the next iteration of the CanMEDS framework.
CanMEDS 2025 Website Survey
Complete the CanMEDS 2025 Emerging Concepts survey to identify emerging issues and contribute new ideas.
Approximate time: 5 minutes