Benefits for Resident Affiliates
Resident affiliation is valuable, informative and free
We believe that residents play a critical leadership role in postgraduate medical education. We encourage residents to not only join the Royal College for free, but to play an active role in the organization during their residency and throughout their specialist careers.
We will be your partner throughout your specialist career. Affiliation during your residency years provides an opportunity to familiarize yourself with who we are and how we can help you during your future challenges and opportunities as a certified specialist physician or surgeon. We want to know more about you and what issues matter to you most as you progress through important milestones of exams, certification and ultimately, we hope, Fellowship in the Royal College.
Resident Affiliate status allows you to do the following:
- Stay up to date. Receive timely information about eligibility, fees and deadlines for assessment of credentials and training.
- Access resident-only awards and grants. The Royal College recognizes resident leadership and research across Canada.
- Avail of exclusive member benefits. RBC HealthcareTM is investing in Royal College educational offerings, and has assembled a one-of-a-kind financial service offering designed to support your personal and professional needs as a specialist. Read about this benefit.
- Carry forward 75 MOC credits into the first MOC cycle following certification and becoming a Fellow
- Provide vital input on the profession. Residents provide input on the strategic direction of the profession through Council, committees and e-surveys.
- Get timely medical and specialty news. Stay up to date with free access to the Royal College’s secure web portal, Dialogue e-newsletter, CEO messages and more.
- Connect with your colleagues. You will be affiliated with more than 47,000 like-minded medical specialists.
What does affiliation with the Royal College mean for you?
Resident Affiliates can carry forward MOC credits
As a Resident Affiliate, you will be able to accumulate credits that can be applied to your continuing professional development (CPD) requirements following certification. You must be enrolled with the Royal College as a Resident Affiliate in order to participate. Resident enrolment in the Maintenance of Certification (MOC) Program is strongly encouraged but not required.
Resident Affiliates who document learning activities in the MAINPORT ePortfolio during their residency program can transfer up to 75 credits (25 in each of the MAINPORT ePortfolio categories of Group Learning, Self-Learning and Assessment) into their first five-year MOC cycle following certification.
- How to carry forward MOC credits?
Residents must register as a Resident Affiliate, track their CPD activities in the MAINPORT ePortfolio, then join the Royal College as a Fellow following certification. Credits can be earned for any learning activity included in the MOC Program’s framework, and these include learning activities you completed as part of a residency program (conferences, rounds, etc.).
By becoming a Resident Affiliate and documenting your CPD activities in the MAINPORT ePortfolio, you’ll get a head start on accumulating the MOC credits that will become crucial once you enter professional practice. Most provincial medical regulatory authorities in Canada require their registrants to participate in a recognized continuing professional development program, such as the Royal College’s MOC Program, as a condition of licensure.
Watch this video to learn how the Royal College helps you deliver the best in patient care across Canada and around the world.
Surgery residents: Collaborating with the American College of Surgeons
The Royal College and the American College of Surgeons (ACS) share a close, collaborative relationship. Canadian surgical residents are also eligible for ACS resident membership and all the benefits it has to offer. Visit www.facs.org for more information.
Applying is easy
To become a Resident Affiliate, fill out the online application form or contact the Royal College Services Centre.
Telephone: 613-730-6243; toll-free 1-800-461-9598