Skip to Main Content
Follow us

FAQ: Annual dues

I already paid my membership dues for 2020-21 and now, with the COVID-19 situation, I anticipate that my income for the year will be severely reduced. Based on the Royal College’s existing fee reduction categories for Fellows, I anticipate that I would now qualify for a reduced payment. Am I eligible for a refund of the balance?

We recognize that these are extraordinary circumstances and it is our commitment to work with you to find solutions. If you are a Fellow who has already paid your dues and you now anticipate a reduced income for the year that would qualify you for a fee reduction, please submit a request via our online form (link is on our dues information webpage) with details. Once your form is received, we will make the necessary evaluation and adjustments.

COVID-19 has completely upended my practice. Even with an extension, I don’t know if I will be able to afford my full dues amount this year. Will the Royal College take this into consideration?

The Royal College works hard to support Fellows. Each year, we offer reduced fees for Fellows based on projected net professional income, temporary leave (family/health) or enrolment in recognized postgraduate programs. Fellows may qualify for a fee reduction based on these existing parameters. Please review our dues information webpage for full details and contact for more particular information.

I have been asked to come out of retirement because my medical services are required due to COVID-19. I want to change my membership status from “Retired” to “Active” for a short period of time. What will I be invoiced?

We recommend that Fellows in this situation first confirm with their medical regulatory authority (provincial college) whether a change in Royal College membership status, from “Retired” to “Active,” is required for licensing purposes. If it is, we will proceed with a change in status and waive membership fees for the year (2020).

I’ve lost my ID number.

You will find your ID number on your annual dues invoice. You can also recover your ID number through the Royal College’s secure access log-in page.

I can’t find my password.

It is the same password that you would use to access the MAINPORT ePortfolio. If you don’t remember it, you can reset it online via the Royal College’s secure access log-in page.

How much were fees raised this year?

Annual membership dues for 2020-21 were approved at the Annual Meeting of the Members on February 21, 2020. They were set at C$990 for Active Fellows residing and practising in Canada. (Long term members pay C$247.) View the full list of fees and reduction amounts.

How can I get my income tax receipt?

If you have paid annual dues or made a donation, your income tax receipt will be available for download shortly after your payment has been processed. Receipts are available as far back as 2016. Download your receipt here.

I downloaded my receipt — why does it say no payments were made?

This message means we have no record of you making payments during the chosen year. Please double check that you selected the applicable year and receipt type, and visit our dues information page to review the options for how to pay.

My receipt indicates I have paid. Why am I still receiving statements with a balance owing?

You must have only made a partial payment. Please refer to your last statement for your remaining balance. Your receipt will be updated and available for download shortly after your payment has been processed.

Why did you raise fees this year?

The increase will meet the costs of inflation and cover our 2019-20 operating and strategic priority initiative costs.

I overpaid last year. Will my invoice reflect that I have a credit?

Your invoice will show the full membership fee for 2020-21. However, if you pay online through the Royal College’s secure website, the amount owing shown there will factor in your credit.

If you have a credit, you will have received a statement from us in January indicating your credit amount.

How do I apply for a fee reduction?

Apply for a fee reduction here.

Regarding the new postgraduate fee reduction, can I get money back for previous years?

No. This is a new fee category at the Royal College starting April 1, 2018, and it is not retroactive.

If I am earning between $30,000 and $110,000 and enrolled in a post-grad full-time program, which fee reduction do I apply for?

You would qualify for the full-time postgraduate fee reduction amount at 25%, which is the lesser amount.

Will I have to participate in the Maintenance of Certification (MOC) Program while pursuing full-time postgraduate studies?

Yes. Even if you are eligible for the full-time postgraduate fee reduction, as a Royal College Fellow you have been enrolled in a five-year MOC cycle and must meet the usual adherence and compliance requirements for Royal College MOC participation. Royal College Fellows can earn and claim up to 100 credits a year towards their MOC cycle for postgraduate studies alone.

How long do I have to wait to pay after I apply for a fee reduction?

If you pay through your financial institution’s website, you can pay the correct reduced amount right away. However, if you wish to pay through the Royal College’s secure website, please wait five working days while we apply the fee reduction to your account. Once we have updated your balance, we will send you an email confirming that you can pay the reduced amount online through our website.

When do I get my receipt?

Your receipt will be available for download shortly after your payment has been processed.

When do I get my membership card?

In response to significant feedback, membership cards will no longer be mailed. Your membership card will be available for download shortly after your payment has been processed.

Can I pay using Internet banking?

Yes, we have enrolled with several major financial institutions to provide Fellows and MOC Program participants with an Internet banking service. To use online banking, simply log in to your financial institution’s website, add the Royal College to your list of payees and enter your Royal College ID as your account number.

You can pay via online banking through these financial institutions:

  • Bank of Montreal
  • Caisse Populaire Desjardins
  • CIBC
  • HSBC Canada
  • National Bank
  • PC Financial
  • RBC
  • Scotiabank
  • TD Canada Trust

Contact us
Royal College Services Centre
Telephone: 613-730-6243; toll-free 1-800-461-9598

The Royal College Services Centre is here to help.