Regional Advisory Committee 5
New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island, and Newfoundland and Labrador
Kara Laing, MD, FRCPC, CCPE
Message from the Chair
My name is Kara Laing and I am your new RAC Chair. I have been a Fellow of the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons since 1997, after completing my postgraduate Internal Medicine training at Memorial University. I completed subspecialty training in Medical Oncology at the University of British Columbia in 1998. I have been a Medical Oncologist within the Cancer Care Program, Eastern Health, St. John’s, Newfoundland and Labrador since 1999, and am currently Professor and Chair of Oncology, Faculty of Medicine, Memorial University. I was elected to the Royal College Council in 2019, and appointed as your RAC Chair in February 2021. I am also a member of the Royal College Professional Learning and Development Committee and past member of the Governance Committee.
I am excited to take on this new challenge and look forward to working with our Regional Advisory Committee to enhance the value of the Royal College for all of its members. The Royal College is stronger when all members have a voice and work together to realize our goals in specialty medicine, medical education and health policy. As a member of Council, I have seen firsthand the commitment of the Royal College leadership, staff and membership to ensure excellence in healthcare and education. As we navigate these challenging times, our strategic plan will help us to effect change locally and contribute to our national organization. I look forward to engaging with learners and fellows across Atlantic Canada.
At the core of their functions, the Regional Advisory Committees:
- identify regional issues relevant to the practice of specialty medicine, medical education, and health policy for action by the Royal College
- promote effective communication with regional members
- facilitate regional members’ ability to share their perspectives, strategies or solutions within areas of common interest
- support the continuing professional development of members through collaboration with regional CPD educators and other regional partner organizations
- identify and support the development of regional members with the experience, skills and expertise to serve in various volunteer roles within the Royal College
Each RAC serves an important role in developing strategies to engage all members in their region in a dialogue concerning issues that are important to the profession and the core mission of the Royal College. With the contribution of our experiences and varied perspectives, our involvement and participation are valued on a wide range of issues or initiatives. If you have any questions or issues that you would like to discuss with the other members of our RAC, please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Note that RAC Chair email inboxes are monitored by Royal College staff.
Kara Laing, MD, FRCPC, CCPE