2022 Royal College Excellence in Ethics Education Award
The Royal College Excellence in Ethics Education Award aims to promote excellence in the field of ethics in residency education, assessment in ethics, or ethics in continuing professional development. The award is given annually to one or more individuals or a team that meet the eligibility and other criteria outlined below.
- Applications are permitted by individuals or co-applicants
- To be eligible for this award, the applicant or one of the co-applicants must be a:
- Resident currently enrolled in a residency training program in Canada accredited by the Royal College, or
- Fellow of the Royal College practising in Canada
- Nominations for the Award are also permitted provided that the nominee, or at least one of the nominees in the case of co-nominees, meets the eligibility criteria outlined above
The applicant(s) or nominees(s) work, initiative or program must promote excellence in the field of ethics in residency education, assessment in ethics, or ethics in continuing professional development.
The applicant(s) or nomination must demonstrate that the work, initiative or program has had a positive impact and measurable outcome on the quality of ethics education at the residency level, assessment in ethics or continuing professional development.
Applicant(s) or nominator(s) must complete the Royal College Excellence in Ethics Education Award Application Form in its entirety and submit it along with the following supporting documentation:
- A minimum of one letter of support from a colleague and one from a participant/recipient outlining the value, positive impact and outcome of the applicant’s or nominee’s work, program or initiative (letters must be no more than 2 pages in length)
- Additional documentation may be provided by the applicant or nominee as desired to further substantiate the value and impact of the program and initiative (e.g., syllabus, learner evaluations)
Submissions will be adjudicated by a panel appointed by the Ethics Committee.
The recipient will receive $1,500 and a certificate. The Royal College will announce the award recipient(s) on the Royal College website and make an announcement in Royal College publication(s) and/or social media.
- Connie Williams, MD, FRCPC, McMaster University
- Haroon Yousuf, MD, MHSc, FCAP, McMaster University
- Nathalie Gaucher, MD, FRCPC, Université de Montréal, in collaboration with the Bureau de l'éthique clinique et la Direction collaboration et partenariat patient at the Faculté de médecine at the Université de Montréal.