Regional Continuing Professional Development Activity Grant
2023-24 grant cycle will launch on March 20, 2023, 12pm EST via Newsroom
Continuing Professional Development (CPD) grants are provided to physician organizations to assist in the development of accredited learning events (excluding self-accredited activities). These learning events must be developed to meet the educational and ethical standards established by the Royal College for accredited activities within Section 1 or Section 3 of the Maintenance of Certification (MOC) Program.
All learning activities must:
- Be reviewed and approved by a Royal College Accredited CPD Provider, (therefore self-approved activities such as rounds and journal clubs are not eligible for this grant);
- Have a defined target audience that includes Royal College specialists; and
CPD Activity Grant Eligibility
- Each applicant must be a national, regional or provincial organization that meets the Royal College definition of a physician organization;
- If national, the organization must apply for funding from the region in which the activity will take place;
- To conform to Canada Revenue Agency requirements, physician organization applicants that do not hold charitable status may receive CPD Activity Grants only where a signed Agency Agreement is in place. The Royal College will provide a template for this agreement.
- Each department within a faculty is considered an individual applicant;
- The activity must meet the accreditation standards of the Royal College for Section 1 (group learning) or Section 3 (assessment activities);
- The activity must occur in the region where the application was sent for review; and
- The applicant is eligible to receive a CPD grant once every 2 years.
- A Royal College Continuing Professional Development (CPD) Activity Grant online application form must be completed and forwarded to the Royal College by a Fellow in good standing who is the chair or member of the planning committee.
- This application form must be submitted at least 4 weeks in advance of the start (or launch) of the planned event/activity.
- Please include the following documentation with your application:
- A copy of materials describing the event/activity, including specific learning objectives and selected educational strategies;
- A copy of the accreditation letter of approval from an Accredited CPD Provider.
- Names of Planning Committee members;
- A copy of the preliminary or final budget for the event/activity outlining anticipated revenue from registrants and industry sponsors and overall expenses for the event and
- The evaluation form developed for the event/activity.
Where applicable, all successful applicants must agree to acknowledge the Royal College’s grant in support of the event/activity by displaying the Royal College logo, or, if logos are prohibited, by listing the Royal College name on the sponsor page of the program (or website), separate to the scientific content. Where permitted, Royal College logo files will be provided to successful applicants.
Grant Amount and Conditions
All successful grant applicants will receive up to $2,000. The amount awarded will be based on the following criteria:
- The total amount of industry funding;
- The anticipated expenses in relation to anticipated revenue; CPD Activities that have a budgeted surplus of 25% or more over total expenses, or a budgeted surplus of at least $25,000 are still eligible for the grant, however the funding will be capped at $500.
Within three months of the activity’s conclusion, the organizers will forward to the Royal College’s Membership Services and Programs, a summary of the evaluation forms outlining the feedback provided by registrants, a final budget and a final program. The allocated funds will be distributed in full on receipt of this documentation.
Important funding notice
Funding for regional grants is calculated annually on a per capita basis. Funding in any region may be depleted before the end of each fiscal year. Applications are reviewed on a first-come, first-served basis.
Telephone: 613-730-8177, ext. 355; toll-free 1-800-668-3740, ext. 355