Program Director of the Year Award
This award is given annually to a program director who has demonstrated a commitment to enhancing postgraduate medical education as evidenced by innovation and impact beyond their program. Up to two awards are presented annually. Award winners receive a plaque recognizing their contribution as well as travel and registration to the International Conference on Residency Education.
To nominate a colleague, please visit the ICRE website.
A nominee must be a current program director of a residency or area of focused competence (AFC) program accredited by the Royal College.
- Demonstrated commitment to innovation in postgraduate medical education.
- Has had a lasting impact on the quality of postgraduate medical education and measurable outcomes beyond their program.
- Evidence of effective leadership and mentorship ability.
- Embodies or integrates the CanMEDS Roles.
- Strong track record for promoting ethics, reflection and humanism in postgraduate medical education.
- Nominations may be submitted by program directors, deans, postgraduate deans, or department chairs and division directors (maximum of two letters). Only 1 nomination submission package per candidate so coordination may be required if multiple individuals want to nominate the same individual.
- Nominations may be in English or French.
- Self-nominations are not accepted.
- Individuals may be re-nominated in subsequent years. Previous winners are not eligible to win again.
Please submit your package as 1 PDF file in the following sequence order:
- 1 - Nomination letter addressing every element of criteria identified above. The effort put into the nomination letter is critical so the more information you provide the better. Please provide 2-3 examples of success for each criteria section
- 1 - Support letter from a resident or AFC trainee (current or recently graduated)
- 1 – Maximum of 3 page in length CV
Nominations are adjudicated by a subcommittee of the Awards Committee of the Royal College.
Pramod Puligandla, MD, MSc (McGill University)
Michael Froeschl, MD, MSc, FRCPC (University of Ottawa)
Azim S. Gangji MD, MSc, FRCPC, McMaster University (Hamilton, Canada)
Jonathan Gaudet, MD, MSc, FRCPC, University of Calgary (Calgary, Canada)
Click here to see a list of past ICRE award winners.