2024 - K.J.R. Wightman Visiting Professorship in Medicine
The Wightman Visiting Professorship in Medicine, established by the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada, in cooperation with the Wightman Club, is funded from the interest income of the Wightman Fund. The Fund was created by former students of Dr. K.J.R. Wightman, former Sir John and Lady Eaton Professor of Medicine, and Chairman of the Department of Medicine of the University of Toronto from 1960 to 1970.
- The Wightman Visiting Professorship creates opportunities for Canadian Faculties of Medicine to invite visits from senior Canadian medical researchers, academicians, and/or clinicians in Internal Medicine.
- Wightman Visiting Professors are selected every two years.
- The visiting professor will be chosen by the Awards Committee of the Royal College.
- The visiting professor will spend one to three days visiting one to two Canadian faculties of medicine according to a mutually agreed schedule.
- The Wightman Visiting Professor participates in undergraduate and postgraduate teaching and in discussions with peers, both in internal medicine and in the professor's particular area of academic interest.
- The successful host organization (nominator) will be responsible for the arrangements and itinerary of the visit for which they are host.
- A written report on each visit will be submitted by the host facility(ies) as well as by the visiting professor.
- Nominees must be Canadian physicians.
Deans of the faculties of medicine and Program Directors from Internal Medicine programs and relevant subspecialty programs, are invited to submit proposals.
The nomination shall include an outline of the proposed itinerary / program of activity for the visiting professor and a description of how the nominee’s area of expertise would enhance or contribute to educational or research priorities of the nominating faculty.
Please include the following documentation with this application:
- Introduction letter outlining the reasons for nomination of candidate;
- Outline of the proposed itinerary / program of activity for the visiting professor
- Nominee’s curriculum vitae.
- The Wightman Visiting Professorship is supported by an honorarium of $1,000 per site visit, as well expenses related to travel, accommodation and meals for the Visiting Professor will be reimbursed, up to a combined total of $7,000. Reimbursements of expenses will be paid directly to the visiting professor. Costs associated with catering and event organization are the responsibility of the host organization.
- Travel and related expenses are reimbursed within Royal College Travel Expense Policy guidelines.
Please submit your application via our online platform – K.J.R. Wightman Visiting Professorship in Medicine
October 5, 2023. Late applications will not be considered.
Questions about this visiting professorship, please contact us via email firstname.lastname@example.org.